http://drake.facebook.com/album.php?aid=31542&l=75e8c&id=512610984
Last night was Loy Krathong (translates to "float rafts") all across Thailand. According to the official website, "the floating of a ‘Krathong' – a banana–leaf cup – is intended to float away ill fortune as well as to express apologies to Khongkha or Ganga, the River Goddess." Don't ask me why floating things into the water says thank you to the water. I won't go into the effect the production of the festival probably had on the water we were all thanking since I did partake and can't go on disagreeing. And, of course, it's beautiful.
Joey, Jordan and I went to KKU to watch the parade and then see the festival. The parade was like all the other parades I have been to here but better because some of my students were in it! It was exciting to see them outside of the classroom. I took lots of pictures of all my students. It was fun to see some of them that I hadn't seen since last semester too. We met up with new friends, Nat and Sarah, and watched the parade go by. The most hilarious part was that the parade was walking from downtown KK to KKU. To get from downtown to the University you have to walk on a major highway. Instead of closing down the street for an hour or two they just ran traffic beside the parade. Also, the parade still had to abide by all traffic lights. As I took the sawngthaew to the University I was passing the parade. I can't imagine how tiring that was and how unlucky some people were since they weren't wearing shoes.
After the parade we walked around, checking out the stands of food, of clothes, of anything else you could want to buy. An addition to this festival was that lots of Faculties had their own booth to raise money. I had fun seeing students but luckily I wasn't stopped too often. Pinn couldn't walk 10 feet before another group of students wanted her to do the game in their booth. It was fun although we questioned if some of the games were even possible! I paid B20 to choose what Dentistry student I would throw water balloons at. I choose the most outspoken one who relishes in any extra attention. Maybe I feed into him so much but I knew he would love it and I like to make people happy! He is the same student who dressed up like Britney Spears (with a lace up camisole, fishnet stockings and high heels) for a presentation last semester. He brought the same risque attitude to the water balloon area! I would say most of my students do not treat me like a traditional Thai teacher and I like it that way.
It was a lot of fun to do a festival in KK as I think it's my first one. It's odd to think that I've always been out of town when something goes on here. Maybe that's why I missed my bus! Just to remind myself that KK is an interesting city too.
Sunday, November 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment